Sigiriya or Sinhagiri, The Lion Rock of Sri Lanka is an ancient rock fortress located in the town Sigiriya in the Central Province, Sri Lanka. Fortress has a significant historical and archaeological value. Rock is nearly 200 metres high (660 feet). The Gardens of the Sigiriya fortress are among the oldest landscaped gardens in the world. Best time to climb Sigiriya Rock is early morning. Avoiding beating sun and heat helps you to enjoy the visit more. Sigiriya's opening hours are 7:00 am to 5:30 pm. Sigiriya is one of the eight World Heritage Sites of Sri Lanka, it has also been declared by UNESCO as the 8th Wonder of the World.
- Climb Sigiriya Rock – By far the best thing to do in Sigiriya.
- Visit Sigiriya Archaeological Museum – It is recommended you visit museum before climbing the fortress.
- Climb Pidurangala Rock – Many people climb the rock to view the sunset. It is almost as high as Sigiriya. You will have a great view of surrounding Tropical Forest.
- Minneriya National Park – One of the best places to see large herds of elephants. If you are lucky few leopards and plenty of birds.
- Dambulla Cave Temple – Just 30 mins from Sigiriya. It is a very exceptional and must-see attraction. There are more than hundred Buddha statues, all flawlessly carved and preserved inside of separate cave temples. There are 5 caves in total, each containing unique designs.
- Go on a Hot Air Balloon Ride – Ballooning season runs from November to April.
- Cycling Tour of Sigiriya – Hire a bicycle and roam around. Best way to enjoy Sigiriya.
- Kaudulla National Park – One of the famous national parks in the world for bird watching. Don’t worry you will still find elephants here too.